Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Naturally Refreshing Drinks (Part II): Jugo de Sandia

Back in May, I told you that when I lived in Costa Rica I discovered my 2 favorite naturally refreshing drinks.  In that original post, I wrote about agua de pipa (coconut water).  And now, given this ridiculous heat wave we are experiencing, it's time to mention the other: jugo de sandia (watermelon juice).

Flashback to April 1996.  It was Easter Break and I headed to the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica with a few friends.  Our plan was to spend the week camping on the beach in Guancaste.  And we did.  The sweltering heat was not part of our plan.  It was easily over 100 degrees every day that week.  There was little shade.  The tent provided no real shelter.  And you can really only swim for so long!  The sunsets were glorious.  Not only because they were gorgeous paintings of reds, oranges, yellows and pinks, but also because we loved nighttime that week.  We would just lie down in the shallow water and stare at the moon.

But the sun always came up again, seemingly hotter than the day before.  We tried to stay hydrated, but it was tough because we had to lug all of our drinking water all the way down the beach to our campsite.  One day I was headed up the beach on a water run (Ha!  run. sure.) and I stumbled upon a little shack.  Several people were hanging around with plastic cups of something red.  They were smiling and laughing.  I wanted that!  Don't get me wrong.  I was happy.  I mean, come on, I was sleeping five feet from the Pacific Ocean.  I was happy.  But smiling and laughing were a long way off -- it was just too hot for that.  Until...

I went and ordered myself one of those cups of something red.  They told me it was jugo de sandia.  Huh, watermelon juice?  Up to this point in life, I had no desire to drink watermelon juice.  The idea of watermelon juice conjured memories of Jolly Ranchers and Tootsie Pops, rather than refreshment.   As I was laying there in a hammock in the shade, drinking my fourth plastic cup of watermelon juice, and listening to the waves of the Pacific Ocean, I thought, "How could I have been so wrong?  This is hands down the best thing I've ever had to eat or drink in my entire life!"  Maybe all those people were smiling and laughing at how wrong they had been too?  Maybe. 

Now I realize that context is king, but I still find watermelon and watermelon juice to be the most refreshing food and drink on a hot day.  I am currently having a big watermelon breakfast.  And last night, after I carved up my watermelon, I poured off the juice into a glass.  I closed my eyes as I drank it, and I swear I could almost hear the waves of the Pacific Ocean.  Good stuff!

So, there's my watermelon juice story, in honor of the power of watermelon to keep you sane during a heat wave.  It's not only refreshing, it also naturally satisfies your sweet tooth, is packed with antioxidants, and has anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.  If you haven't already, go get some watermelon.  If you want to make watermelon juice, just chop it up, remove most seeds, and blend (or just smash by hand), strain, chill, and enjoy.

Eat Well.  Live Well.  Be Well.  Stay Cool and Healthy with Watermelon.

4 comments:

  1. When I was in the Yucatan a couple winters ago, both families I stayed with made jugo de sandia regularly. I never would have thought to drink pulverized watermelon before, but it was probably my favorite thing to drink down there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Ilse, so you know! My other watermelon favorite of late is to cube it up, freeze it, and then eat it like sorbet. Such a nice way to cool down in this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Baja, they often make a juice out of cantaloupe that is beyond wonderful and refreshing as well. That and some fish tacos is my favorite meal when I go to visit.

    The watermelon juice can also be frozen in popsicle molds as a great treat for kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, Sadie, I can't imagine canteloupe juice. But based on my watermelon juice experience, I also can't wait to try it. Let me know when you want to go...now I'm craving fish tacos too.

    ReplyDelete