Monday, August 2, 2010

Easy Recipe for Healthy, Homemade "Ice Cream" (Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, No Added Sugar!)

I've been getting requests for more recipes, so I thought I'd share this dessert I threw together recently: Cherry-Vanilla Coconut Milk "Ice Cream".  This one came to me last week during my long stretch of no grocery shopping.  I only had a few random veggies left (maybe I'll share my sauteed radishes story another time?) and I had completely run out of fresh fruit.  But I was craving fruit.  Then I remembered I had frozen cherries (I love to keep them on hand for smoothies!).  And then I realized I had some coconut milk (coconut milk, NOT coconut water/juice).  I figured I could make something tasty from cherries and coconut milk.  And I did.  Really tasty! 

Here's the recipe...

Cherry-Vanilla Coconut Milk "Ice Cream"
(Dairy- and Gluten-Free, No Added Sugar = NO Reason Not to Try This!)

Ingredients:
(for 2 servings)
  • 1 cup frozen organic cherries
  • 1/2 cup (classic / NOT "lite") coconut milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • (optional: add 1/2 banana -- adding banana makes it creamy; without banana, consistency is more like sorbet, but there is still some creaminess from the coconut milk)
Here's What You Do:
  • Blend together all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor
  • Pour into glass container/bowl (covered) and return to freezer
  • Freeze for ~2 hours
  • Enjoy. 
  • (If your "ice cream" is kept frozen for an extended time, you may need to thaw it before eating.)

I hope you enjoy this simple, tasty, and very healthy alternative to traditional ice cream. 

Let us know if you like it and share with us your own healthy dessert creations.

Eat Well. 
Live Well. 
Be Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment