Thursday, August 19, 2010

Happy Birthday, Keeley!

Keeley hiking Mt. Cabot (just shy of 7 yrs old)
We'll get back to some straight-up nutrition talk shortly, but I hope you'll indulge me this moment today to meditate some more on another non-food aspect of life that nourishes us and supports our good health.

Keeley is my now 7-year-old dog, and today is her birthday.  This picture was taken a couple weeks ago on a hike of Mt. Cabot, here in New Hampshire.  What's up with those (birthday) candle-glowing eyes, you ask?  I like to think of that as Keeley's unique prana (energy, life force) brimming over so much that it can't be contained.  (Thank goodness I couldn't get the red-eye-reducing tool to work on those golden eyes, otherwise I would have missed out on that perspective, huh?)

I adopted Keeley from a rescue when she was 3 months old (the pic below was taken on her first night home), when I was working on my Masters degree in Akron, Ohio.  Today I wanted to post a brief note here in honor of Keeley because she has brought so much love, laughter, comfort, and peace into my life.  Those of you who know Keeley are aware of her pure, innate happiness.  This is a dog who greets you with a smile (a "creepy smile" to be exact) and with a whole-body wag.  I'll try to avoid hokiness ("Lessons I learned from my dog..."), but she truly is a constant reminder of how to enjoy life. 

Keeley's first night home (3 mo.)
So, in honor of Keeley, and all those other wonderful animals out there who enrich our lives, do something simple and nurturing today -- take a long walk and stop to smell the flowers, curl up in the middle of the afternoon and enjoy a nap without guilt, drink tons of water (and don't be embarrassed if it rolls right down your chin!), greet everyone you see with a smile and even a whole-body wag if you like (whether or not you know them), let people know that you love and appreciate them, and listen intently in your conversations (especially if someone says, "Do you wanna..."?). 

Eat Well.  Live Well.  Be Well. 

Happy Birthday Keeley!  

No comments:

Post a Comment