Friday, June 18, 2010

Creating Enduring Relationships

Tomorrow I'm flying to Pittsburgh because one of my childhood friends is getting married there on Saturday.  I only have a few minutes because I really should pack my suitcase and get to bed, but it occurs to me that my friend's wedding is a nice opportunity to tell you all about a book that I love.  In May 2005, I was recovering from surgery at a friend's house and I grabbed this book off her shelf -- If the Buddha Married: Creating Enduring Relationships on a Spiritual Path, by Charlotte Kasl.  I really loved this book.  If you feel hesitant to check it out because of the title, I hope you reconsider because (a) this is not a deeply religious book and (b) while the author does discuss marriage and romantic relationships, I found that the ideas in the book could easily apply to all relationships ... parent-child, friendships, colleagues, and of course romantic relationships. Kasl uses Buddhist teachings and psychological concepts to guide us in healing our existing relationships and creating new enduring relationships.  The book is broken up into short, manageable essays/chapters, and is a quick read.  I highly recommend it.

Has anyone read If the Buddha Married, or any of Kasl's other books? 
Has anyone (you know who you are!) seen my copy?

Do you have a favorite book about relationships or spirituality? 

If so, please tell us about it ... comment on this post.

Congratulations, Joanna and Richard!  I'm looking forward to being there this weekend.

Eat Well.  Live Well.  Be Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment