Monday, May 24, 2010

We Are How We Eat: Let's Make Some Food-Mood Connections

As you know from previous posts, I did a 10-day spring detoxification cleanse back in April.  As part of that process, I kept a detailed food-mood log.  I wrote down everything I ate and drank, what kind of activity I did, how I slept, how I felt (foggy, energetic, sad, focused, etc.), digestive problems, congestion, allergies, acupuncture appointments, everything.  This is a really powerful (and simple!) tool. 

Most people I know would call me a "healthy eater", but what does that mean?  Yes, I cook the majority of my own food, I eat whole foods and avoid processed foods at least 90 percent of the time, but I still experience undesired symptoms sometimes.  For me that can mean headaches, congestion, poor sleep, and intense food cravings.  The problem with stepping back too far is that it's hard to see the connection between your symptoms and your lifestyle.  You end up thinking: "What's wrong?  This is so frustrating.  I eat healthy.  I live healthy.  But I still have all these symptoms." 

When you write down everything (everything!) and then review it, you really do see the patterns, and often the direct connections, between foods you eat and how you feel.  For instance, I have discovered over the past month or so that for me, right now, nuts make me crazy (or "nuts", if you will).  When I reintroduced nuts (organic, raw almonds and cashews -- healthy, right?) after my cleanse, I started experiencing hunger, cravings, and mild anxiety.  Because I was paying attention and tracking everything in my food-mood log, I took nuts back out of my diet after a few days and I lost all those symptoms.  There are reasons for this connection and it is also likely that the reaction is only temporary, but for now, for me, I've learned something very important to make me feel healthier and happier.

Although each of us is an individual and we need to pay attention to our own unique reactions and patterns (yet another reason to keep a food-mood journal), here are a few common food-mood connections to consider...

Do you feel spaced out, sad, overly sensitive, or hyper?  Hmmnn....where do sugar, chocolate, alcohol, fruit, and caffeine fit into your diet? 

Do you feel impatient, frustrated, stubborn, stuck, aggressive, or controlling?  If so, think about how much salt (not just table salt, but processed foods), meat, cheese and eggs are in your diet. 

I encourage you to get a notebook or set up a spreadsheet on your computer and begin keeping a food-mood journal. 

At the very least, record the following information: date, what you ate (everything you eat at meals, snacks, grazing), what you drank and how much (tea, coffee, soda, juice, water), physical activity, any comments about how you feel emotionally and physically, any cravings.  This is one of my first exercises for my health counseling clients.  I guarantee that by doing this you will: (1) learn something profound about your own food-mood connections; (2) have some accountability for your food and activity choices; and (3) increase your awareness of how much water you drink daily. 

Have you tried keeping a food-mood journal before?  Was it useful for you?  Are you ready to try it, or try it again?

Eat Well.  Live Well.  Be Well.

1 comment: